Find out what you can do before severe weather strikes. Preparation is key to staying safe and minimizing impacts.Be Weather-Ready: Check the forecast regularly to see if you're at risk for
Prepare For Severe Weather
Find out what you can do before severe weather strikes. Preparation is key to staying safe and minimizing impacts.
- Be Weather-Ready: Check the forecast regularly to see if you're at risk for severe weather. Listen to local news or a NOAA Weather Radio to stay informed about severe thunderstorm watches and warnings. Check the Weather-Ready Nation for tips.
- Sign Up for Notifications: Know how your community sends warning. Some communities have outdoor sirens. Others depend on media and smart phones to alert residents to severe storms.
- Create a Communications Plan: Have a family plan that includes an emergency meeting place and related information. Pick a safe room in your home such as a basement, storm cellar or an interior room on the lowest floor with no windows. Get more ideas for a plan at: https://www.ready.gov/make-a-plan
- Practice Your Plan: Conduct a family severe thunderstorm drill regularly so everyone knows what to do if a damaging wind or large hail is approaching. Make sure all members of your family know to go there when severe thunderstorm warnings are issued. Don't forget pets if time allows.
- Prepare Your Home: Keep trees and branches trimmed near your house. If you have time before severe weather hits, secure loose objects, close windows and doors, and move any valuable objects inside or under a sturdy structure.
- Help Your Neighbor: Encourage your loved ones to prepare for severe thunderstorms. Take CPR training so you can help if someone is hurt during severe weather.
For nearly 15 years Jeff has served the Greater Shiawassee Area through his real estate business and volunteering his time. Recently Jeff acquired his broker's license and along with his wife Missy,....
Latest Blog Posts
Customer Care CoordinatorOwosso, MI 48867Part-timeSalary: $10.00 to $14.00 /hourWho are we?Top Real Estate team seeking Office Manager/Customer Care Coordinator to join our dynamic and fast growing
Stately and sprawling ranch nestled in Buckley Subdivision in the northwest corner of the City of Owosso. Full of features that any discerning buyer is hunting for: Gorgeous kitchen, heated 3